The Yuma County Library District is pleased to announce the launch of their WiFi Hotspot Lending Program! This pilot program allows library cardholders who are 18 and older to check out a hotspot device and connect to the Internet from almost anywhere. A hotspot is a small device you can use to connect a wireless enabled device, such as a laptop, smartphone or tablet, to the internet. Hotspots are portable, so you can connect your device to the internet almost anywhere you are.
Hotspot lending programs are essential to bridging the digital divide. They can be used to close the homework gap for families with school-aged children who cannot afford internet at home as well as support workforce development and job skills training.
Guidelines for Borrowing and Use
- Must be 18 years or older
- Library Card account must have less than $5 in fees
- Borrower will sign brief agreement document first time borrowing a hotspot
- Borrower is limited to checking out one (1) hotspot device at a time
- You can borrow a hotspot kit for two weeks (14 days) from your home Library. Hotspot devices may not be renewed. 1 checkout per month- per household. (A new checkout will be available a month from when a hotspot is returned.)
What comes in a hotspot kit?
- 1 case
- 1 hotspot device
- 1 micro USB cable
- 1 wall charger
- Instructions in English and Spanish
- User survey
4G Mobile Broadband With LTE*
- Download: typical download speeds of 5-12 Mbps.
- Upload: typical upload speeds of 2-5 Mbps.
Technology Help FAQs
You can use the Jetpack as a wireless mobile hotspot to connect your computer and up to a total of 5 Wi-Fi enabled devices to the mobile broadband network.
If you need help connecting your personal device to the hotspot, please call the Library District at (928) 782-1871.
The wireless service on the hotspot will be turned off if the hotspot is not returned on the due date. You are responsible for costs associated with loss or damage of the hotspots and/or cords, adapters, cases, etc. The replacement charge is $50.
Replacement charge for lost/broken items:
Hotspot Device $50.00 Hotspot Case $5.00 Cable/Adapter $15.00
Please return your hotspot kit to a Library service desk where it was checked out. Please do not put hotspots in the book drop.
You can borrow a hotspot kit for two weeks (14 days) from your home Library. Hotspot devices may not be renewed. 1 checkout per month- per household. (A new checkout will be available a month from when a hotspot is returned.)
No, holds cannot be placed on hotspots.
Hotspot kits are available for checkout at the Main, Heritage, Foothills, Wellton, Somerton, and San Luis libraries.